Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Google Mobile Voice Search

I've been waiting to do this for a long time now and I have to admit, the mad scientists at google never fail to amaze me. You can now talk to the google search page!!! And that too while you are on the move.

I've worked in the voice and telephony field for some time now and I can tell you that voice recognition is no easy feat even while working with a limited number of words. The new google app manages continuous speech recognition which means that it converts what ever the user is saying to text without restricting the user to a fixed set of utterances .

Traditional speech recognition apps work by limiting the user's responses to a fixed set of commands that the recognition engine can listen for.

What google has managed to do with the new google mobile app is astounding because their engine is matching your voice pattern to a single word in a whole dictionary of words all in real time!

I even tried using it with the TV volume turned up and it still worked accurately.
However, my fake malayalee accent did manage to out fox the recognition engine. Regional accents are always a major concern with systems like this.

I also noticed that recognition is exceptionally good with one word or two word phrases but is less accurate when you go beyond that.

Be warned, the app is quite data intensive. It sends your voice over the internet to google's servers where the actual recognition takes place. I tried it over WiFi so it was pretty fast, not too sure how it will work with GPRS.

What I'd really like to see next is for google to read the page out to you in a way that you could actually speak to the web, ask it questions and have it speak back to you. I cant wait for technologies like VoiceXML and X+V to catch on.

You can download the app onto your phone from the link below. Happy googeling!

http://www.google.co.in/mobile/products/search.html

No comments:

Post a Comment